Friday, May 15, 2009

My son has no future in crime

It seems that the ability to lie is genetic and my son got my inability. I was always a crappy liar. Now, I rarely even bother. I can do the white lie, but the big ones elude me. I always give myself away. I used to envy those people who could lie smoothly, but, enough about me.

I meant to post this yesterday, but it was Quincy's graduation from his 3 year old preschool class and then I had to work so there was no time. It's been a crazy week. I have pictures from the graduation that I plan to post this weekend.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I was happily watching "Criminal Minds" the other night when Quincy came walking into the room with two Sharpies without lids. He had been quiet in the living room, but I assumed he was watching something on Noggin. I was obviously wrong. I looked an him and said, "What did you do?"

He ducked his head and said, "Wellllllllllll...."

Again, "What did you do?"

He said, "I colored on the big TV screen."

This got me up. I went into the living room and he really had colored the big TV screen. There were big loopy scribbles on it. I said, "You'd better hope this comes off," and got the bottle of rubbing alcohol and some paper towels. As I started cleaning, I reminded him that his Daddy would probably punish him if he found out about this.

It came off! I said, "Quincy, you are lucky that came off. Don't tell your Daddy what you did."

Five minutes later, my husband came walking in. He forgot his cell phone and came home to get it. By this time, Quincy was sitting quietly on the couch. As soon as my husband walked into the living room, Quincy looked up and said, "Daddy, I colored on the big TV screen with Sharpie, but Mommy got it off, so it's okay!"

It took him 30 seconds to give himself away. My husband and I looked at each other and laughed. I said, "Well, he'll never be a criminal!" Really, a police officer would ask, "Who did this?" and I can just see Quincy raising his hand and saying, "It was me! I did it!"

No comments: