Monday, January 12, 2009

Better Than Expected

Friday I subbed at the school I taught at last year. It was my first time back in the building since my contract was non-renewed last May. It was kind of scary driving up to the building and parking. I honestly thought that I might throw-up. I had no idea if I would be welcomed or not.

I walked into the front office to sign in and was immediately greeted with a smile. I was only subbing a half day so I knew that if it was bad, well, at least I wouldn't be there all day. Former students came up and greeted me happily all day. My classes were well-behaved.

I talked with an assistant principal who asked what I am doing now, where I am subbing primarily, and such. Nice small talk.

I ran into an EA who works in the English dept. and she said that she didn't know that I was subbing and that I should let people know. I'm trying to figure out what to say to my mentor from last year in an email as I type this. Have been trying to think of something to say that doesn't sound breezy and stupid in an email all afternoon. I didn't keep in touch with her over the summer and now the silence is awkward. I hate bridging awkward gaps. I am pretty inept at it.

Time to quit procrastinating and write this email. She isn't at school anymore to read it anyway.

2 comments:

Rhi said...

I'm glad it went well! Hope you find the right words for the email!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good day. I don't know why your contract was not renewed, but I have found that people generally grow fonder and are not aware of reasons that determine how strings are moved and contracts signed or not.