Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Ugh Ugh Ugh

I spent the morning agonizing over whether or not I wanted to pursue the only two Language Arts positions open in my county. Once I decided that, yes, I should try, then I had to call the schools because the job postings clearly said, "Call school for interview." Usually, that means that someone will call you back with an interview time or even give you one right then and there. I hate calling schools. Even the secretaries make me nervous. Also, the remote possibility that I might speak to a principal practically makes me shake like a leaf.

Well, I took a deep breathe and I called. Both of them said to email or fax my resume. So much for worrying about who I would talk to on the phone. Emailing a resume means I need a cover letter of some sort because you can't just email an attachment with a blank message, you know? That would be unprofessional. So I wrote a great cover letter, highlighting my familiarity with teaching writing, and sent it. I cut and pasted the same letter, with a few tweaks, to the second principal.

Now I kind of hope they don't call. Principals make me nervous, which makes me seem unprofessional at interviews I think. I mean, it's bad when you are visibly shaken by the interview, right? I lose my train of thought. I forget all that I know. In one interview, I forgot what Student Performance Indicators are. In my last interview, I kept my mouth shut, for the most part, and I got the job. I read somewhere that you shouldn't talk too much in interviews. You might reveal something that they didn't ask you and that they see as a negative.

I really kind of hope no one calls me this afternoon.

No comments: