Saturday, October 25, 2008

Differences Galore

I am still very, very busy--between the teaching and the working at night and on weekends and the being a mom and a wife and the sleeping. So far, the only things that I am missing out on is being able to keep up with my TV shows and my blogs. I have no time to read blogs, but that's only until Thanksgiving. The TV thing, I do have time for, but only once Quincy is asleep and, by then, I am usually asleep, too. Oh, plus the DVR messed up and didn't tape "House" on Tuesday, so I am behind now anyway. It posts online this Wednesday so I didn't miss anything really, I guess.

Speaking of Quincy, he's amazing. His language skills. His potty skills. Everything is incredible. And he will be four in a little less than a month. I can't believe he's so big. I do wish he would go to sleep earlier. It's 10:02 and he is still awake, watching Thomas.

There is a huge difference between the kids I taught last year and the ones I have now. I used to come home feeling pretty much hopeless, like I had no classroom management skills at all, like I was learning nothing about how to handle those kids. I think it was just that I really should be teaching middle school. I still have challenging days, but I never feel hopeless or defeated. If I tell my kids to sit down and be quiet, they sit down and be quiet. You don't know how satisfying that is after last year.

One thing that has not changed is the absolute exhaustion that I feel at the end of some days. There's this lull between the time I get home and time to cook dinner when I almost fall asleep and then I feel out of it for the rest of the night. All those 13 year olds are tiring!

No comments: