Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Facebook Phenomenon (Phenomena?)

Just like everyone else I know, I use Facebook as a way to reconnect with people I have not seen in umpteen years. To a lesser degree, MySpace is good for this, too, but more of my old friends are on Facebook. Understandably, some of the people that I find were mere acquaintances in the first place and so, after the initial, "How are you?" email, we don't talk much anymore.

It's the others that are few and far between that perplex me. If you were close to someone many years ago, lost touch, and reconnect, should you expect that intimacy to still be there? Is that unrealistic? I don't think so. I think if it is someone who knew you very well before, then they probably still know you pretty well now. Sure, you'll both have changed due to life experiences, but people remain basically the same.

I'm wondering if there's a false sense of intimacy there though. I mean, just because I feel still close to a person, doesn't necessarily mean they feel the same about me, right? Just because I care about them, still, they may not feel the same way.

I have a lot of friends that are superficial, "Hi, How are you?" friends who do not really care what the answer to that question is. I have enough of those. I can pretty much count on one hand the number of people who have opinions that I value. When I reconnect with one of these people, am I maybe expecting too much?

No comments: