Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Successful Toddler Cooking Experience

Last night, I attempted to involve the toddler in making dinner. So far, the only thing he has enjoyed doing is dumping the macaroni into the water for Velveeta Shells'n'cheese. I didn't know if he'd help with a casserole or not, but he did. He put the Frito's and shredded cheddar on top.

Here's the recipe in case you want to try it:

Mexican Casserole (I call it Chili Pie)

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion , chopped
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 16 oz. can tomatoes with juice
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 16 oz. can chili beans, drained (I didn't drain them. Maybe that's why it was runny..oops)
1 pkg. chili seasoning mix (I used Chili-O)
1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Corn chips

Saute beef and onion, add salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients, except for beans, cheese, and corn chips. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes (nope--can't do it--it will stick. I cooked on medium for maybe 10 minutes and then almost on low for the rest). Add beans. Pour into casserole and top with cheese and corn chips. Bake 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Quincy ate a whole bowl of this last night so it's toddler approved, I guess.:)


See, there's only half a casserole left!!

No comments: